If you’ve ever been to Istanbul, you’ll definitely recognise simit. This crispy, circular bread is enjoyed daily by most Turks and is definitely the most popular of the street foods sold throughout the city. Made using molasses and topped with sesame seeds, simit has a crunchy outside but a soft, moist bread on the inside. Although simit is commonly enjoyed with breakfast, it is also popularly enjoyed with cheese and aryan at any time of the day. You will notice ‘simitçis’ or simit sellers all over the city, selling this handy bread from their trademark carts, or simply carrying stacks of simit piled high over their heads. And at only 1-2TL each, its no wonder this delicious bread is so popular! Afiyet olsun!
Come on a journey of the culinary kind with us, as we help you to eat your way across Istanbul & experience the best food the city has to offer...
You can be interested in:
- The Sweet Taste of Katmer
- A Kebab Discovery in Istanbul – How Many Types of Turkish Kebab Will You Taste?
- How To Cook Turkish Coffee
- How To Make Turkish Tea
- Istanbul’s Markets – The Locals’ Favourites
- Iskender Kebab
- Spice Market
- Aşure (Noah’s Pudding)
- Hatay Akdeniz Sofrasi – Thumbs Up!
- Layers of Soup with Spinach (Katman Katman Ispanak Corbasi)
Watch more here: