Get a taste for both sides of Istanbul. Indulge in a market breakfast in Europe in the heart of the historic Old City, before crossing to Asia and wandering the fashionable streets of Kadıköy. Spend your day feasting on a mix of the city’s best traditional and new delicacies, from the tastiest eateries. Discover Istanbul’s unique blend of old and new, on the world’s only city straddling two continents. Eat. Walk. Enjoy!
We will begin our morning with a delicious Turkish breakfast of locally sourced produce on Istanbul’s European side; before crossing the mighty Bosphorus by ferry to explore the more modern and chic area of Kadıköy, on the Asian side.
The chic area of Kadıköy is home to some of the best local restaurants in Istanbul, frequented a new generation of Turks who love to dine out, while still savouring the flavours of their childhood. Sip on freshly brewed Turkish coffee while enjoying locally-made baklava. Taste delicious dolma, tantuni and kokoreç, as well as other favorite foods of the locals. Enjoy the home-cooked flavours of Kadıköy’s most loved restaurant, Çiya Sofrası. Finally, finish your day with the cool, refreshing flavours of the best Turkish dondurma (ice-cream) in Moda.
We’ll make more than 10 different stops during our walk with a variety of samples at each – enough to fill your belly to the brim with all the amazing flavours that make up Turkish cuisine! This is a real chance to immerse yourself inside Istanbul’s food scene, and also experience the buzz of daily life of Istanbulu’s. Join us for a day that is sure to surprise and delight your taste buds and discover the real Istanbul.
- Discover why Turkish cuisine is one of the world’s most famous
- Enjoy both sides of beautiful Istanbul, tasting famous Turkish delights on both the European and Asian shores of the city
- Sample more than 20 wonderful Turkish foods, that you might not discover on your own
- Learn about Turkish food culture, eat at local restaurants, and visit markets where locals are buying traditional foods to use in their kitchens
- Discover Istanbul with a professionally licensed foodie guide – passionate about all things food and Istanbul – ready to share information about their culture, Turkish history and modern-day life
- Experience a delicious outdoors breakfast, of freshly sourced market produce
- Devour some of the most popular Turkish street foods, from hole-in-the-wall eateries best known to locals
- Savour the home-cooked, traditional flavours of Çiya Sofrası
- Cool down at the end of a delicious day with cold Turkish dondurma (ice-cream)
- All food and drink along the tour, including bottled water as you need
- A friendly, knowledgeable and passionate English-speaking tour guide
- Transport by ferry from Europe to Asia (and back again)
- A day filled with culinary, cultural, historic and personal anecdotes, with a local insider’s view of Istanbul
What To Bring & Wear
- An empty stomach and a very big appetite!
- Casual and comfortable shoes and clothing
- Our tours depart rain or shine, but if rain is forecast you might like to bring an umbrella for the short walking distances between food stops
50% deposit is required upon booking to secure your tour (this can be made via PayPal or with credit card). Cancellations are to be advised at least 24-hours before the commencement of your scheduled tour for a full refund; otherwise, this deposit will be forfeited. Our tours run rain or shine.
Departures & Meeting Point
Our The Taste of Two Continents tours depart daily at 09:30 or 10:00am and are approximately 7 hours in duration.
This tour begins in Istanbul’s Old City; therefore we meet to begin our tour in the heart of Eminönü. The exact meeting point and detailed directions will be provided upon booking confirmation.
Our small, standard tour group size is just 2-6 people. However, we are certainly happy to cater for your larger, private group. Please email us at: email@example.com to discuss.
“I would like to thank Latif our food guide for an amazing experience. This was the highlight of my Turkey trip, apart from hot air ballooning in Capadocia. The range of foods that we had was staggering (at least 15-17 different places), and Latif brought us to authentic places patronised by locals and not tourist traps. As a foodie adventurer, I am glad that we got to try some exotic stuff such as Beef tongue soup and lamb intestines sandwiches. I will definitely do this tour again the next time I am in Istanbul.” Michael, Singapore
“This was a wonderful experience, we did the two Continents tour and found the tastes and views all very interesting. I had a reluctant husband who ended up thoroughly enjoyed the walk and the tasting and just seeing another side of this wonderful city.” Jennifer, New Zealand
“Korhan is a fantastic guide, and my husband and I had a blast spending the day with him. On top of his knowledge of Turkish food, he’s a great resource for Turkish history and culture, as well. This tour gave us the opportunity to try foods we never would have picked out on our own while visiting Istanbul. I highly recommend this to anyone visiting Istanbul looking for an authentic experience with Turkish food. A few points of advice to future tour goers: 1. Don’t eat anything that morning – you’ll need all the space your stomach has! 2. Pace yourself – it’s a LOT of food. 3. Wear pants with an elastic waistband.” Molly, USA