How to Make Menemen
First prepared by Cretan Turks in Izmir along Turkey’s Agean coastline, menemen derives its name from the specific district where it was first created. The main ingredients of menemen are simply tomatoes, peppers and eggs, so it’s little wonder that it has survived from Ottoman times until today. It’s hard to imagine a Turkish breakfast table without menemen, as all love its flavour. Also, due to its high nutritional value and ease of preparation, it is cooked regularly in almost every Turkish home.
Whether the recipe should include onions or not is a source of contention between menemen lovers. Although it is known by most as a breakfast food, it can also serve as an evening meal. With this consideration, many agree that breakfast should be without onions, while dinner recipes include onions. Read more about the funny discussions over menemen recipe here.
Whenever the question ‘What shall I cook today?‘ is asked, especially during financially challenging times, menemen always makes a budget-friendly, delicious and nutritious meal.
Why not enjoy Turkish breakfast at your home by giving our delicious Turkish menemen recipe a go. Do not also forget to brew Turkish tea for your breakfast!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 small green peppers, diced
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and diced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- Heat the oil in a pan, and add the diced onion and peppers. Cook until the onion is soft and transparent.
- Add the tomatoes. Cover the pan with a lid and leave until the tomatoes are soft and cooked.
- Break the eggs into a separate bowl and whisk briefly. Add them to the pan with the cooked tomato mix.
- Add the salt and any other spices – if you prefer it spicy add some red pepper flakes.
- Mix the eggs through the tomato and pepper mixture until the eggs are cooked. Serve hot!