A great snack food, a light lunch or an accompaniment to dinner, these bean fritters are easy to make. As beans are always plentiful in Turkey the versatile vegetable is a staple at most Turkish dinner tables, year round and can be found in various forms. Originally I made these to serve at breakfast, as a small side of something hot for a hot Istanbul morning. These are easy to make and will be enjoyed by the whole family…
- 15 fresh green beans – the flat type is better if you can find them, but any green beans will do the trick
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 clove of garlic, grated or crushed
- 2 green onions (stalks only)
- Pinch of fresh dill
- ½ tsp carbonate
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Wash beans and boil in salted water for 7-8 minutes.
- Transfer the beans to cold water to cool quickly. Remove the tops and tails.
- Slice the beans thinly. Finely chop the green onions and dill.
- Add your egg, milk, flour and baking powder to a bowl. Mix well until all ingredients are wet.
- Fold in the vegetables (beans, garlic, green onions) and dill. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan and add spoonfuls of batter, to the desired fritter size. Fry fritters until cooked through and golden brown. Remove and place on paper towel to absorb excess oil.