Turkish Dolma with Meat Recipe:
Pepper Dolma is one of my favourite Turkish dishes and I didn’t realise how easy it was to make until I tried it for myself. Of course, as I am a carnivorous person, I do prefer the dolma containing ground beef. You can serve this as a main meal (lunch or dinner) with a side of mezzes, salad or pasta.
Ingredients for Turkish Dolma with Meat:
- 15 green capsicums
- 250g of lean beef mince
- 1 cup of white rice
- 50g of margarine (or 150mL of vegetable oil)
- 2-3 tomatoes
- 1-2 handfuls of flat-leaf parsley
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp of tomato paste
- 2 cups of boiling water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Red pepper flakes
- Dried mint
- Wash the capsicums, cut the tops off (but keep them) and remove all the seeds. Salt the inside of the capsicums lightly, using your finger.
- Rinse the rice and drain well.
- Peel the skins from the tomatoes, remove the seeds, and dice them.
- Peel and dice the onion.
- In a large bowl, combine the minced beef, onion, half of the margarine, rice, tomatoes, dried mint and parsley and mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fill the hollowed capsicums with the mixture. Note: be careful not too fill them too much, as the rice will expand as it cooks.
- Put the tops back onto the stuffed capsicums and stand them upright in a large saucepan.
- In a bowl, combine the remaining margarine, tomato paste and boiling water. Pour around the peppers in the saucepan.
- Bring the water to the boil and then turn down to a gentle simmer. Cook gently with the lid on for approximately 30 minutes, or until the stuffed capsicums are soft to touch with a fork and the rice is cooked through.
Find more Turkish recipes: