How to Make Roman Beans with Olive Oil
- 600 gr dried Roman beans, soaked overnight
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- Lemon wedges
- Drain the beans. Cook them in a large pot with 4 cups of water for about 1 hour, or until they are not quite tender. Set them aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat, and cook the onions gently for about 2 minutes, or until it’s softened but not brown. Stir in the garlic, tomato paste, carrots, and celery. Drain the cooked beans and add them to the pot, cover it, and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add the potatoes and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Cover the pot and simmer for another I0 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- Transfer the mixture to a serving dish, cover it, and refrigerate for 1 hour. Serve chilled or at room temperature with a garnish of chopped parsley and lemon wedges.