How to Make Turkish Tripe Soup
- 900 gr beef tripe, washed and drained
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped, divided
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons red pepper
- Place the tripe, 4 cloves of the garlic, the lemon juice, olive oil, and 2 quarts water in a large heavy saucepan. Season with salt. Bring the mixture to a boil; then cover the saucepan and simmer for about 4 hours, or until the tripe is soft. Add extra water as needed to keep the tripe submerged. Skim off any scum that rises to the surface.
- Remove the tripe from the saucepan and let it cool. Reserve 1 ½ quarts cooking liquid-add a little extra water if necessary. Cut the tripe into ½ – inch pieces.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Use a wooden spoon to stir in the flour, and cook the mixture for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in the cooking liquid, then add the milk and tripe pieces. Stir well and simmer the mixture for about 30 minutes.
- To serve, mix the vinegar, Turkish red pepper, and remaining garlic in a small bowl.
Ladle the soup into individual bowls and spoon some of the vinegar mixture onto each serving. Serve at once.