How to Make Turkish Almond Pudding
- 1 ¾ cups blanched almonds
- 5 ½ cups whole milk, divided
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- Pinch of salt
- Ground pistachio nuts
- Place the almonds in a blender along with 1 ½ cups of the milk. Grind them well for about 4 minutes to make a smooth paste. Turn out this mixture into a medium-size saucepan and add 3 ½ cups milk, the sugar, and the cream. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining ½ cup milk to form a smooth paste. Gradually add this mixture to the boiling milk mixture, then lower the heat and simmer, stirring frequently. Carefully add about 1 cup of the hot almond milk to the beaten egg yolk, then pour this mixture back into the saucepan. Add a pinch of salt. Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens.
- Pour the mixture into individual serving dishes. Let it cool, then refrigerate for several hours to chill the pudding. Sprinkle ground pistachio nuts on top and serve.