How to Make Collard Green Soup
- ¼ cup unsalted clarified butter
- 1 small Spanish onion, finely diced ( ½ cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¾ pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and finely diced (1 ½ cup)
- ¾ cup great northern beans or small lima beans, soaked and drained
- 6 cups beef stock
- 1 pound collard greens, trimmed (include tender stems) and coarsely chopped (about 3 cups)
- ¼ cup orzo
- 4 sprigs fresh Italian parsley, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Turkish red pepper or ground red pepper
- Heat the butter in a heavy medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook gently for 2 minutes, stirring, until they’re softened but not brown. Add the ground beef and cook for 2 minutes to brown all over. Stir in the tomato paste, tomatoes, and beans. Add the stock, cover the saucepan, and bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cabbage, orzo, parsley, and Turkish pepper. Season with salt and cook for another 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until the beans are tender but not falling apart and the cabbage is softened. Pour the soup into individual bowls and serve at once.