How to Make Collard Green Soup
- ¼ cup unsalted clarified butter
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 350 gr lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 large tomatoes, finely diced
- ¾ cup beans or small lima beans, soaked and drained
- 6 cups beef stock
- 3 cups collard greens, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup orzo
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- ½ teaspoon red pepper
- Heat the butter in a heavy medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook gently for 2 minutes, stirring, until they’re softened but not brown. Add the ground beef and cook for 2 minutes to brown all over. Stir in the tomato paste, tomatoes, and beans. Add the stock, cover the saucepan, and bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cabbage, orzo, parsley, and Turkish pepper. Season with salt and cook for another 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until the beans are tender but not falling apart and the cabbage is softened. Pour the soup into individual bowls and serve at once.