How to Make Turkish Dumplings
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup cold milk
- 2 cups lamb stock or chicken stock
- 1 recipe Yogurt-Garlic sauce
- 230 gr ground lean lamb or beef
- 1 small onion, grated
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and black pepper
- 5 1/3 tablespoons unsalted clarified butter
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon red pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the center and add the eggs, oil and milk mixing well. Turn out the mixture onto a lightly floured work surface and gently knead it for about 8 minutes, dusting the dough and your hands from time to time to prevent the dough from sticking. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and let it rest for 45 minutes.
- 2.To prepare the filling, combine the lamb, onion and parsley in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Cover the bowl and refrigerate.
- Heat the oven to 190°C.
- Turn out the rested dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Using an oklava, roll out a very thin about 1/16 inch thick-22 inch circle. Dust the work surface lightly with flour occasionally to help prevent the dough from sticking. Cut the dough into 2-inch wide strips, then cut 2-inch strips, crosswise to make 80 2-inch squares. Discard the irregular pieces.
- Place about ½ teaspoon of the filling onto each square. Bring all four corners of each square together and twist them with your fingertips to close tightly. Gently press each dumpling to flatten it slightly.
While working, dust your fingertips with flour from time to time.Place the dumplings onto a lightly greased 2-inch-deep baking pan. Bake them for about 15 minutes, until they’re lightly browned. Remove the pan from the oven and pour over the stock. Return the pan to the oven, lower the heat to 160°C, and bake for another 10 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, heat the butter for the topping and stir in the paprika, pepper and mint.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the dumplings onto warmed serving plates. Pour over the yogurt-garlic sauce and drizzle a little of the herb topping over each serving.