How to Make Turkish Eggplant Salad
- 3 large eggplants
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus extra to season
- Half a kilo bell peppers (about 4 medium)
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped (1 cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Prepare a charcoal grill, or heat the oven to 230°C. Using the tip of a skewer, poke 3-cm-deep holes all over the eggplants to allow the heat to get into the whole eggplant. Grill them over the charcoal fire, turning occasionally, for about 20 minutes, or until they completely collapse. Alternatively, place them in a baking pan and bake for about 40 minutes in the oven. Let them cool. Prepare the lemon juice using 3 tablespoons of the lemon juice, mix the eggplant pulp with it, and set it aside for 10 minutes.
- Grill the green peppers for 8 minutes, turning occasionally, until they blacken completely. İf using the oven, cook them for 15 minutes. Place the peppers in a plastic bag for about 10 minutes so the skin loosens. Remove the tops, peel the skin, and chop them, taking care to remove the seeds.
- Transfer the eggplant pulp to a strainer and squeeze out the excess liquid. Roughly chop the pulp and mix it with the green peppers, tomatoes, garlic, parsley, oil, and the remaining lemon juice. Season with salt. Stir gently, cover the bowl, and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Serve chilled.