How to Make Ezogelin Soup
- 2 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted clarified
- 1 large Spanish onion, finely diced ( ¾ cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 medium tomato, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped ( ½ cup)
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon Turkish red pepper or ground red pepper
- 1 ½ cups red lentils
- ¼ cup long-grain white rice
- 6 cups chicken stock or water
- ¼ cup fine-grain bulgur
- 1 tablespoon dried mint
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Plain bread croutons (optional)
- Lemon wedges
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- In a heavy medium-size saucepan, heat the olive oil and the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook . gently for about 2 minutes, or until they’re softened but not brown. Stir in the tomato paste, chopped tomato, paprika, and Turkish pepper.
- Add the lentils, rice, and stock. Cover the saucepan and bring the liquid to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for about 30 to 35 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the rice is cooked and the lentils have blended with the stock. Add the bulgur and mint, and season with salt and pepper. Cook for another I0 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- If the soup is too thick, add a little water.
- To make the topping, melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat, add the mint and paprika, and stir the mixture until it sizzles. Ladle the soup into individual bowls and drizzle the butter mixture over each serving. Top with the croutons, if you’re using them. Serve at once with lemon wedges.