How to Make Turkish Fava Beans
- 650 gr fresh fava beans
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh dill
- 1 recipe Yogurt-Garlic Sauce
- Prepare the beans by snapping off one end and pulling off the string, then turning the beans over and pulling the string from the other side. Cut the fava beans in half and place them in a bowl. Cover them with cold water, sprinkle on the flour, and stir in the lemon juice. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a deep pot over medium heat and cook the onion gently for about 2 minutes, until it’s softened but not brown. Drain the beans and add them to the pot along with 2 tablespoons of the dill and 1 ½ cups water. Season with salt.
- Bring this mixture to a boil, then lower the heat, cover the pot, and simmer for about 40 minutes, or until the beans are tender.
- Transfer the mixture to a serving plate, cover it, and refrigerate. Pour the yogurt-garlic sauce over the beans and sprinkle on the rest of the chopped dill. Serve chilled or at room temperature