How to Make Jerusalem Artichokes
- 700 gr Jerusalem artichokes
- 2 lemons
- ¼ cup virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- ¼ cup long-grain rice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh dill
- Peel the artichokes and cut each one into 2 to 4 pieces depending on their size. Rub the pieces with the cut lemon halves and place them in a bowl of cold water to prevent discoloration.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook the onion gently until it’s softened but not brown. Add the sliced carrot and cook for 1 minute. Drain the artichokes and add them to the pan along with the rice, sugar, lemon juice, and dill. Season with salt Stir the mixture well.
- Pour in 2 cups water, cover the pan, and cook gently for about 30 minutes, or until the Jerusalem artichokes are tender. Add a little hot water if the mixture gets dry before the artichokes finish cooking. Transfer the mixture to a serving plate and let it cool. Serve at room temperature.