How to Make Spicy Kofta Shish Kebab
You need four long, flat skewers for this recipe.
- 4 slices day-old bread, crusts removed
- 2 pounds ground lean lamb or beef
- ½ small Spanish onion, grated ( ¼ cup)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons Turkish red pepper or ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground sumac
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Prepare a charcoal grill.
- To make the kofta: soak the bread in cold water briefly and squeeze out the excess water. Combine the lamb or beef, bread, onion, garlic, eggs, Turkish red pepper, sumac, paprika, cumin, and parsley in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. With moistened hands, mix the ingredients for about 2 minutes. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- With moistened hands -keep a bowl of warm water nearby- divide the chilled meat mixture into 4 equal portions. Hold a skewer upright with one hand, and with the other hand form the meat into a sausage shape onto the skewer. Start at the lower end of the skewer and work your way to the tip of the skewer by gently pressing the meat against it, opening and closing the palm of your hand with a continuous, quick motion.
- Place the koftas on the hot grill set 5 inches above the coals. Grill the meat for about 8 minutes, turning frequently, until it’s cooked through. Pull the skewer out of each kofta and serve at once.