How to Make Leeks with Olive Oil
- 900 gr leeks
- ¼ cup virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- ½ cup rice
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Cut off the roots and about two thirds of the green part of the leeks. Remove the coarse outer leaves. Slice the leeks 1-inch deep lengthwise and split them open. Wash them well, removing all traces of dirt Cut the leeks into ½ -inch-wide slices and set them aside.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, and cook the onions gently for about 2 minutes, or until it’s softened but not brown. Add the leeks, carrots, rice, parsley, sugar, and lemon juice. Season with salt and stir the mixture. Pour in 2 cups hot water, cover the pan, and cook gently for about 20 minutes, or until the leeks are tender.
- Transfer the mixture to a serving dish, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour. Serve chilled or at room temperature.