How to Make Pistachio Semolina Cake
Makes 16 Slices
- 3 ½ cups cold water
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¾ cup flour
- 8 medium eggs at room temperature
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla crystals
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 cup semolina
- ¼ cup finely ground pistachio nuts
- Heat the oven to 180°C.
- To make the syrup, combine the water with the sugar. Boil the mixture for 5 minutes, then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes. Stir the lemon juice into the syrup and let it cool.
- Lightly butter and dust with flour the inside of a I0 x 15 x 2-inch baking pan. Place it in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks with the sugar, vanilla crystals, and lemon zest until the mixture becomes slightly foamy. Gently fold in the semolina, flour, then the pistachio nuts. Stir the mixture until it’s well blended.
- Using an electric mixer or a wire whisk, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they form firm peaks, about 3 to 4 minutes. Gently fold the egg whites into the batter. Pour the mixture into the baking pan and spread it out evenly. Bake the cake in the center of the oven for about 35 minutes, until the top is golden brown.