How to Make Shredded Filo Dough
Makes 20 Pieces
- 3 cups cold water
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 450 gr shredded filo dough
- 200 gr walnuts
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¾ cup unsalted clarified butter
- Heat the oven to 190°C.
- To make the syrup, combine the water with the sugar. Boil the mixture for 5 minutes, then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes. The syrup is ready when it is light yellow, and when a small spoonful dropped onto a wooden surface and cooled is tacky. Stir the lemon juice into the syrup and let it cool.
- Place the walnuts and sugar in a food processor. Process until medium to finely ground -do not grind too fine.
- Brush the inside of a I0 x 15 x 2-inch baking pan all over with a little of the clarfied butter. Separate the shredded dough in half by holding it upright and pulling it apart. Spread half the dough evenly in the pan. Dip a wide pastry brush into the butter and use it to drizzle half the remaining clarified butter over the dough.
- Spread the walnuts on the dough, pressing gently. Lightly sprinkle the walnut filling with water -use a plant mister- to help the rest of the dough adhere to it when it is added. Place the other half of the shredded dough over the walnuts and gently press down all over. Drizzle the remaining butter over the dough.
- Bake the dessert in the center of the oven for 35 minutes, or until it’s light golden. Remove the pastry from the oven and immediately pour over the cooled syrup. Cover the pan and let the pastry cool to room temperature. If you like, sprinkle on ground walnuts or pistachio nuts. Cut the pastry into squares and serve.