How to Make Turkish Tarhana Soup
Tarhana soup is one of the most popular soups in Turkish cuisine. It is nutritious and natural, and as a result it is one of the first foods Turkish babies start eating following breast milk. If you have tarhana powder ready at home, making tarhana soup will be very easy. It will take up to 10 minutes to prepare your nutritious and satisfying soup with few ingredients.
Please note that you need the tarhana powder for this recipe. Making traditional tarhana powder is a long process and takes days. Find a recipe for the powder here.
Alternatively, Turkish supermarkets in your town should have Tarhana powder. Amazon also sells Turkish Tarhana powder. Tarhana soup recipe needs tomato paste and it tastes better with Turkish style tomato paste. If you are visiting a Turkish market or shopping Amazon for tarhana powder, add this Tomato paste to your basket too.
- 1 cup of powdered tarhana
- 7.5 cups hot broth or water
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of mint
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Mix 1 cup of powder tarhana with 1.5 cups of warm broth (or water) and let it soften.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a deep saucepan. Add 2 cloves of crushed garlic and 1 teaspoon of tomato paste and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt, pepper, paprika and 1 teaspoon of mint into the butter and mix.
- Add the tarhana you soaked in to butter which you fried with tomato paste, garlic and spices.
- Add the remaining 6 cups of hot water (or broth) and mix it constantly with a whisk to make the soup thicken.
- Serve the boiling soup hot without waiting. Enjoy your meal.
Keep stirring the soup as it cooks so that the powder will dissolve completely.
Note: Since it is a soup that thickens as you cook it, you can add water when you are consuming it the next day.